Spring is my very favorite time of the year. I get inordinately excited as each new tree variety begins to blossom and the wild flowers arrive. I plan to make at least a dozen wild flower crowns in the coming weeks. I gave my mother this Bouquet Tote last year for Mother's Day, and I thought I'd share the pattern with you again this Spring!
You can finish the appliqué piece as a tote, like I did (instructions below), or make it into a wall hanging, pillow, or whatever else you like! The appliqué template includes 2 sizes, this one is the small size, and there is also a mini!
The instructions show you how to make it using my Simple Raw-Edge Applique method. (The tote in the picture is made using my Scrappy Applique technique, you can learn that method from my book, any of my patterns, or my online class)
- 1/2 yd fabric (I use canvas for durability)
- 2 yds 1" cotton webbing for straps (this can be found in the ribbon section of craft stores)
- Thread that coordinates with the bag fabric
- Spring Bouquet Applique Piece (Download the Free Pattern )
- 1/2 yd fabric (I prefer a regular quilting cotton so the bag isn't too rigid)
- 10" square of fabric for the pocket
- Trim bag fabric to 16" x 36"
- Trim lining fabric to 16" x 36" (optional)
- Cut two 22.5" pieces of webbing
- Pin webbing in place on the right side of one end of your bag fabric (3" from either side), aligning raw edges.
- Zig zag stitch along the edge of the fabric.
- Repeat for the other side.
- Make and apply the appliqué piece according to the instructions on the Free Pattern .
- Fold your bag, right sides together, aligning the strap sides, pin in place.
- Sew 1/2" seam on either side.
- Zig zag stitch along the sides you just sewed.
- Fold fabric over on the wrong side 1.5", pin in place. (If you are adding lining, make sure pins are on the right side of the bag.)
- If you are NOT including the lining, go ahead and sew a seam 1/4" from the bottom raw edge, as well as another seam 1/4" from the top fold, making sure the straps are straight as you sew across them.
- Turn right side out, and press. If you aren't including the lining, you're done!!Optional Lining
- Hem the pocket: Fold the right and left sides 1/2" toward the wrong side and press. Fold over 1/2" again, press. Repeat for the top and bottom sides.
- Sew a 1/4" seam across the top side of your pocket.
- Fold your lining fabric in half, "hamburger" (so it is 18" x 16"), press the fold with iron. Unfold. Now you will be able to position your pocket correctly.
- Position your pocket on one of the right sides, centering it between sides and fold. Pin in place.
- Sew pocket 1/4" from edge: down one side, across the bottom, and up the other side. Obviously, dont sew across the top!
- Fold lining in half again, right sides together. Sew 1/2" seam on either side.
- Fold top edge 1.5" toward the wrong side and press.
- Tuck the lining inside the bag. Align the tops and pin in place, make sure the straps are straight.
- Sew a 1/4" seam around the top of the bag. You're done!!
I hope you are enjoying your Spring, wherever you are! What are your favorite flowers to fill your house with?